Online dermatology video consultations
Online dermatology consultations are carried out via video link. This enables you to have a discussion with a Dermatologist about your skin concerns from the comfort of your own home.
We have found online video consultations to be extremely successful and popular among our patients. Success relies on ensuring that your condition is one that can be safely assessed and treated with an online video consultation.
Dermatology conditions which are suitable for an online dermatology video consultation
Conditions which are suitable for online consultation include:
- Facial rashses
- Body rashes
- Hair loss where a diagnosis has already been made
- Follow up consultations to review progress and make adjustments to treatment
Online consultations to discuss procedures
Online dermatology video consultations are also very useful if you are considering a procedure and would like to discuss your suitability, the risks and the benefits, for example for
- Cosmetic mole removal
- Acne scar treatments
- Aesthetic injections
Online consultations to review and update skin care regimes
We are also pleased to be able to offer online video consultations for those looking to refresh and enhance their skin care regimes. This is ideal for those looking for an expert assessment of the best ingredients to use for their skin for anti-ageing, break-outs and greasy skin. Any recommended products ca be delivered to your door.
Prescriptions and skin care products
Following a consultation, if a prescription is required, then it will be posted to you. A clinic report will be sent to you and your GP if applicable. If you require skin care products, then a skin care plan will be sent to you which you can chose to purchase through our partners at Get Harley who will be able to deliver the products to your door.
Face to face visits?
If a problem is detected that requires a face to face visit your Doctor will either be able to see you or refer you to another Practitioner to be seen (charges will apply accordingly).
Which conditions are not suitable for online video consultations?
Conditions which rely on physical examination are not suitable for video consultations, including mole checks, suspected skin cancers, diagnosis of lumps and bumps and hair loss. Complex conditions may require face to face evaluation.
What are the limitations of online video consultations?
A video consultation may not allow as accurate an assessment of a skin problem as a face to face consultation might. A face to face consultation may therefore still be required following a video consultation which would incur additional costs (at the prevailing rate for consultations). A visit to the clinic may also be required if a procedure such as a skin biopsy or blood test becomes necessary.
Can follow up dermatology consultations be carried out by video?
Yes, many of our patients have carried out follow up consultations by video link. Please see our page on follow up consultations to understand the circumstances in which such a consultation may become necessary.
What if I want to start medications where blood tests are required?
We are able to organise blood test with our laboratory partners at TDL on 76 Wimpole Street. In certain instances we are also able to do blood tests by posts where we will send you a pack for you to do an at home pin prick analysis which you can post back. This means that it is possible to have consultations for Roaccutane and Spironolactone by video.
How can I book an online video consultation?
Please let us know your concerns with a picture, and our team will be able to advise you if an online consultation is suitable. If it is suitable, then you will be asked to fill a registration form and submit 3 pictures of the condition. A prepayment of the consulting fee is required.
What software and equipment are required?
Our doctors use Clinecall or Skype. We will send you instructions on how to log on. Online video consultations can be carried out on a smart phone, tablet or computer.
Can I use private medical insurance for online video dermatology consultations?
Please check with your insurer about their coverage for this. Most insurers are permitting online video dermatology consultation during the time of the global pandemic. A preauthorisation code is required to make a booking or an online video consultation.
How can I prepare for an online video consultation?
- Test the software before to ensure your audio and video work ahead of time. An email with the software link will be sent to you
- Ensure you have good wifi signal
- Ensure you are in a private room and cannot be overheard
- Send 3 or more high quality pictures before hand to illustrate your problem. Ensure the photographs are properly exposed and in focus. For a facial problem, take a photo from the front and one from each side as well as close up pictures to show the problem. Wear a hair band to ensure the full face is clearly presented.
- Provide a detailed description of the problem in the registration form you are sent before hand
- Provide a detailed description of all the medications and creams you may have tried before the consultation
- Have a pen and piece of paper handy to take any notes
- Ensure you provide us with your correct address so prescriptions can be sent to you by post
- Have an understanding that follow up appointments are required by almost 50% of those attending for a skin consultation as ongoing evaluation and support is frequently required. Read more about follow up appointments.
What are the prices for an online consultation
The standard consultation fee of £250 is reduced to £175 for online consultations during the pandemic. Consultations for procedures are £150 and for aesthetic treatments are £50. Please see our page on fees for further information.
Terms and conditions
Please see our full terms and conditions which also apply to online dermatology consultations.
Online video consultations – Key Points
- Why – to obtain expert advice from a Dermatologist from the comfort of your own home
- How – Using video software (either Skype or Clinecall) – full instructions provided on booking
- Time required – 20 to 30 minutes depending on appointment time
- Limitations – Not as accurate as a face to face consultation, and not suitable for certain skin complaints
- Prescriptions and skin care products – Will be posted to your door
- Number of consultations required – 50% may require subsequent follow up appointments
- Price – £175. A prepayment is required. The fee is £150 for procedure consultations and £50 for aesthetic consultations.