Hair transplant at Belgravia Dermatology
- Why – Using latest techniques, individual follicles can be transferred which means that the results are very natural and pleasing
- Areas – Frontal hair line, temples, crown, eyebrows
- Results – Transplanted hairs grown to their full potential six to nine months after the transplant surgery
- Downtime – 5 to 7 days
- Next step – Arrange a free hair transplant consultation with us. We may ask you to submit a photograph so we are able to advise if a hair transplant consultation is appropriate for you.
Hair transplant – our results
What is a hair transplant?
A hair transplant is a minor surgical procedure in which hair follicles are transferred from the back or sides of the head where hair is in surplus (“the donor area”) to an area where hair is needed because it is thinning or bald (“the recipient area”).
Hair transplant surgery has been carried out since the 1970’s and has evolved and improved significantly since. Nowadays, individual follicles can be transferred which means that the results are very natural and pleasing and the scars very hard to detect.
Which conditions can be treated with a hair transplant?
Hair transplants are most commonly used to treat thinning or bald areas due to Androgenic Alopecia. Androgenic alopecia is also called Pattern hair loss and is a condition which affects both males and females. Both males and females with pattern hair loss may be eligible for hair transplant surgery.
Other disorders causing hair loss including scarring alopecia , scars following surgery or trauma, and burns can also be treated by hair transplantation.
What is the difference between FUT and FUE hair transplant?
FUT or Follicular Unit Transplant involves removing a strip of skin at the back of the head, and carefully separating this into individual hair follicles which are then planted back into the areas which are thinning. The result is a fine straight line scar at the back of the head. This method is most suitable for those with very advanced hair loss and loose scalp skin.
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction involves taking a hair follicle out one at a time, and planting this back in the area which has thinning. This method is more suitable for those with early hair loss of if the scalp skin is very tight. The result is tiny dot like scars from where the follicles are obtained, which blend into the surrounding skin and are usually well camouflaged. FUE is more time consuming and is therefore more costly than FUE.
How many hair follicles will I need to have transplanted?
This is best determined during a consultation where the size of the area which requires hair transplantation can be assessed. This is an important determining factor on how many follicles will be required at transplantation.
Other variables will influence the number required including the degree of hair loss which has occurred, how fine or thick the hair is, how curly or straight the hair is and importantly, how you want the final result to look.
How long does the procedure take and when I can I go back to work?
This will depend on the number of hair follicles that need to be transplanted. Surgery usually takes between 3 to 8 hours and is performed while you are awake. The area is numbed with fine injections. We create a stress free environment so you are relaxed and comfortable, with the option to watch TV throughout.
Recovery takes 5 to 7 days. New hair growth starts about four months after a hair transplant but final results take nine months to fully show. Most patients can go back to work in one to two weeks depending on the nature of their work.
Attaining the results that you want
Our aim is to create results which are appropriate for your age and will look natural throughout your life. To attain optimal results, more than one transplant session may be required. Together, we will discuss what is possible for you, taking into account:
- Number of follicles needed
- Number of donor follicles available
- The size of the area to be covered
- Your scalp and face shape
- Your hair density, colour and texture
We can develop a strategy that will help you to look your best now and for years to come.
Booking an appointment
We offer two appointment types depending on your needs:
This is suitable if you are suffering from hair loss and would like a diagnosis and advice on treatment. A consultation fee is applicable (the current prices are on our fees page). Blood tests and a a scalp biopsy may be required.
Hair transplant consultation
We discuss if hair transplant is an option for you, and provide you with a detailed outline of costs based on your desired results. A small deposit is required which is redeemable against hair transplant surgery.
Hair transplantation at Belgravia Dermatology
- We offer diagnosis and treatment for hair loss, including both FUT and FUE hair transplantation.
- Hair transplantation surgery is carried out under local anaesthetic and takes 3 to 8 hours depending on the numbers of hair follicles which are transplanted
- Your suitability for hair transplantation and the costs will be provided at the consultation. We may ask you to send us a photograph so that we can advise you on whether a hair transplantation consultation with us is appropriate.